Skip to main content

Pumpkin Carving Alternatives. 8 Substitutes for Pumpkin Carving.

pumpkin carving alternatives - woman and girl decorating a pumpkin with stickers


Pumpkin Carving Alternatives.


There are many ways to decorate a pumpkin if pumpkin carving isn't your jam. Pumpkin Carving is messy! I don't blame you if you're not up for it.

Keep in mind that some of these pumpkin carving alternative ideas may still require prep such as cleaning the inside of the pumpkin. 

**This post contains affiliate links. I earn small commissions for qualified purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!

8 Substitutes for Pumpkin Carving



1. Painting Pumpkins 

The possibilities for painting pumpkins are endless. Acrylic paint is the most adherent, but not the easiest to clean up if you have kiddos. Thumbprint designs are especially adorable if your little one likes to finger paint.

Use spray paint for allover coverage, and dual tip acrylic paint markers for finer details. Consider paint pour or splatter if you don't mind getting messy (best done outdoors). Don't forget paint smocks! 

2. Pumpkin Pegs or Push Pins 

Purchase a face specifically for pumpkins, or repurpose your Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head accessories. 

Give your toddler some fine motor practice with a peg and mallet hammer set. Or use decorative push pins, but beware of sharp edges. 

Jack Skellington pumpkin paint and push kit

3. Pumpkin Stickers

Sticking a pumpkin face decal sticker is perhaps the easiest way to make a jack-o-lantern! 

4. Cookie Cutters

That peg and mallet hammer set will come in handy again if you use cookie cutters. You probably have a star shaped cookie cutter on hand, but I love the bat, cats, and ghosts that come with this set of Halloween cookie cutters. Those would look so cool illuminated with tea lights!

5. Stencil and Shallow Shave

Use pumpkin face stencils or whatever you have on hand. Your last name initial would be cute, and should be easy to free hand. 

Choose a tool from this pumpkin carving tool kit to scrape out a shallow design. The outline should still illuminate with the string lights included with the kit.

6. Wrap or Tape it Up

Use gauze and googly eyes to make a mummy. Secure your design with a hot glue gun. 

Choose a cool color or pattern duct tape. I'm partial to the camoflauge and leopard patterns. 

7. Boho Pumpkin 
pumpkin flower arrangement

Treat your pumpkin like a vase, and add artificial flowers. Drape a lace collar or doily over the top of your pumpkin. Burlap bows also give boho vibes. 

8. Bedazzle!

Create dazzling designs with buttons or bows. Paint the top of your pumpkin and add glitter to create a donut design.

Or make a spider web out of glue and glitter. 

Summary

Carving pumpkins is a fun but messy and risky spooky season tradition. Celebrating shouldn't be stressful. 

There are pumpkin carving alternatives suitable for all ages and abilities. Choose to decorate your pumpkins in a way that's most enjoyable for you and whoever you're sharing the experience with. 


Which pumpkin carving alternative idea is your favorite?



 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suffering from dry skin?! 5 things to stop doing to relieve dry skin.

Suffering from dry skin?! 5 things to stop doing to relieve dry skin.  Let's talk dry skin. Your skin is your largest organ, your body's interface with and protection from the environment. Keep it moisturized and intact! I trained in a dermatology office as a physician assistant student. Dry skin was a common complaint. Many clients were shocked at the advice they were given: "I paid a specialist copay for this?!" was a common sentiment. Relieve dry skin by stopping these 5 things, and you may save yourself a trip to the doctor's office! 1. Bathing Frequently  Water exposure can be drying and irritating. Reevaluate how many times you are bathing, and for how long. Consider decreasing the overall amount of time you are immersed in water.   2. Bathing in hot water Hot water is especially drying. In addition to the amount of time you spend in water, consider lowering the temperature of the water. Check out this  article  that says ideal water temperature is be...

10 Ways to Stop Overspending on Clothing

10 Ways to Stop Overspending on Clothing I love to shop for clothing, especially for my daughter. I always joke and say, "God knew my heart needed a daughter, but my wallet didn't!"  Thankfully I'm not going into consumer debt, but I am a spender. Rather than feel guilt or shame, I started to accept and roll with it. Here's what to do if you tend to overspend on clothing or other items.  1. Start a side hustle.  I like to have multiple income streams so I can designate funds from different sources for specific purposes. One of my favorite sides hustles is - you guessed it - reselling my daughter's clothes !  This is perfect because I truly enjoy it, and she outgrows things so quickly. I try to keep items in good condition without stains . I can sell things as she outgrows them to fund the next size up for her ever changing wardrobe. Check out this  Ramsey Solutions article  for more side hustle suggestions.  2. Start a sinking fund. Similar to having m...

What Do Different Colored Pumpkins Mean on Halloween?

What Do Different Colored Pumpkins Mean on Halloween? From pillowcases to pumpkin pails, kids carry all kinds of candy receptacles to trick-or-treat. While much thought might not go into using a grocery bag, the use of different colored pumpkins for trick or treat could be intentional.  Just as trick-or-treaters can send a signal with what they carry to collect candy, people passing out treats can do the same with their Halloween decor. Whether you collect or pass out treats, arm yourself with the knowledge of what different colored pumpkins mean on Halloween to prepare for all sorts of trick-or-treaters. **This post contains affiliate links. I earn small commissions from clicks and qualified purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support! Teal Pumpkins  Teal pumpkins represent food allergies. Your child with a food allergy can carry a  teal pumpkin trick or treat bucket .  Decorate your porch with a  teal pumpkin  to provide a more inclusive tr...