Skip to main content

Welcome

Hi there. Thank you for being here. My name is Alicia. I’m a thirty something physician assistant living and working in central Pennsylvania. My husband, John, is a doctor. We have been practicing medicine for 11 years. We have one young daughter and two cats.  I’m an introvert who needs extroverts to adopt me! I enjoy drinking coffee and wine, any kind of shopping, traveling, and rewatching the same shows and movies that I know I like. 

I also enjoy writing, and have felt called to create a blog for some time now. So, this is me blogging. I decided to call my blog, “Let’s talk, FAM.” I believe knowledge is power, so my goal is to write to educate and empower. The acronym, FAM, stands for the main focus of my content, finances and medicine. But is also a term of endearment, fam, for YOU, dear reader. I’m so glad that you’re here.

I believe finances and medicine are two areas that affect all of us, whether we choose to educate and empower ourselves or not. I want you to feel in control of these areas of your life, not that things are happening to you! While some things are out of our control, many are not. My goal is to provide financial and medical information in digestible weekly posts. I hope you learn something that informs you or inspires you to take action and tell others about what you learned, so that they might do the same. Please let me know in the comments how I can best serve you. What topics would you like me to cover? I’m excited to start this journey and learn alongside you. Let’s do this! 

Until next post, give yourself and others some grace. Maybe, like me, you or someone you encounter is starting something new. No one is a master in the beginning. So start. Show up even if you’re struggling. Do it afraid. Learn as you go. I’m rooting for you.

- Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suffering from dry skin?! 5 things to stop doing to relieve dry skin.

Suffering from dry skin?! 5 things to stop doing to relieve dry skin.  Let's talk dry skin. Your skin is your largest organ, your body's interface with and protection from the environment. Keep it moisturized and intact! I trained in a dermatology office as a physician assistant student. Dry skin was a common complaint. Many clients were shocked at the advice they were given: "I paid a specialist copay for this?!" was a common sentiment. Relieve dry skin by stopping these 5 things, and you may save yourself a trip to the doctor's office! 1. Bathing Frequently  Water exposure can be drying and irritating. Reevaluate how many times you are bathing, and for how long. Consider decreasing the overall amount of time you are immersed in water.   2. Bathing in hot water Hot water is especially drying. In addition to the amount of time you spend in water, consider lowering the temperature of the water. Check out this  article  that says ideal water temperature is be...

10 Ways to Stop Overspending on Clothing

10 Ways to Stop Overspending on Clothing I love to shop for clothing, especially for my daughter. I always joke and say, "God knew my heart needed a daughter, but my wallet didn't!"  Thankfully I'm not going into consumer debt, but I am a spender. Rather than feel guilt or shame, I started to accept and roll with it. Here's what to do if you tend to overspend on clothing or other items.  1. Start a side hustle.  I like to have multiple income streams so I can designate funds from different sources for specific purposes. One of my favorite sides hustles is - you guessed it - reselling my daughter's clothes !  This is perfect because I truly enjoy it, and she outgrows things so quickly. I try to keep items in good condition without stains . I can sell things as she outgrows them to fund the next size up for her ever changing wardrobe. Check out this  Ramsey Solutions article  for more side hustle suggestions.  2. Start a sinking fund. Similar to having m...

What Do Different Colored Pumpkins Mean on Halloween?

What Do Different Colored Pumpkins Mean on Halloween? From pillowcases to pumpkin pails, kids carry all kinds of candy receptacles to trick-or-treat. While much thought might not go into using a grocery bag, the use of different colored pumpkins for trick or treat could be intentional.  Just as trick-or-treaters can send a signal with what they carry to collect candy, people passing out treats can do the same with their Halloween decor. Whether you collect or pass out treats, arm yourself with the knowledge of what different colored pumpkins mean on Halloween to prepare for all sorts of trick-or-treaters. **This post contains affiliate links. I earn small commissions from clicks and qualified purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support! Teal Pumpkins  Teal pumpkins represent food allergies. Your child with a food allergy can carry a  teal pumpkin trick or treat bucket .  Decorate your porch with a  teal pumpkin  to provide a more inclusive tr...