Skip to main content

Mongolian spots - don’t mistake them for bruises!

Let’s talk Mongolian spots.

Have you heard of them? I’m shocked at how many people haven’t, particularly those who work with children. I suppose it depends largely on the demographics of your area.

Mongolian spots are areas of increased melanocyte activity (melanocytes are the cells that produce pigment or color in our skin). These spots are most common in people with tan or brown skin; Asian, Native American, Hispanic, East Indian, African. Mongolian spots are congenital, meaning they appear at or shorty after birth, and they may or may not fade or disappear over time. They are completely benign, and are not associated with any other medical conditions. Because Mongolian spots are common on the back at the base of the spine and on the buttocks, and tend to be bluish gray in color, they can look like bruises. 

The majority of professionals who work with or may come in contact with children are mandatory reporters. This means that if we SUSPECT child abuse, then we are required to report it. If you are the parent or caretaker of a child with Mongolian spots, try to remember to inform and educate those involved in your child’s care. Thankfully, the possibility of someone mistaking Mongolian spots for something more sinister is the worst that could happen. The spots themselves are harmless! 

Since Mongolian spots are benign, there is no need for further tests or treatment. If Mongolian spots persist beyond the teenage years and are bothersome, cosmetic laser treatment may be considered. Also, in general, any sun exposure may make hyper-pigmented areas appear more pronounced. One may apply sunblock or wear sun protective clothing on sun exposed skin to avoid this (commissions earned). 


Have you heard of or seen Mongolian spots? Tell me in the comments! 


**This post contains affiliate links. I earn commissions for clicks that result in purchased products. However, these are all products I’ve purchased and used myself, and found to be helpful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suffering from dry skin?! 5 things to stop doing to relieve dry skin.

Suffering from dry skin?! 5 things to stop doing to relieve dry skin.  Let's talk dry skin. Your skin is your largest organ, your body's interface with and protection from the environment. Keep it moisturized and intact! I trained in a dermatology office as a physician assistant student. Dry skin was a common complaint. Many clients were shocked at the advice they were given: "I paid a specialist copay for this?!" was a common sentiment. Relieve dry skin by stopping these 5 things, and you may save yourself a trip to the doctor's office! 1. Bathing Frequently  Water exposure can be drying and irritating. Reevaluate how many times you are bathing, and for how long. Consider decreasing the overall amount of time you are immersed in water.   2. Bathing in hot water Hot water is especially drying. In addition to the amount of time you spend in water, consider lowering the temperature of the water. Check out this  article  that says ideal water temperature is be...

10 Ways to Stop Overspending on Clothing

10 Ways to Stop Overspending on Clothing I love to shop for clothing, especially for my daughter. I always joke and say, "God knew my heart needed a daughter, but my wallet didn't!"  Thankfully I'm not going into consumer debt, but I am a spender. Rather than feel guilt or shame, I started to accept and roll with it. Here's what to do if you tend to overspend on clothing or other items.  1. Start a side hustle.  I like to have multiple income streams so I can designate funds from different sources for specific purposes. One of my favorite sides hustles is - you guessed it - reselling my daughter's clothes !  This is perfect because I truly enjoy it, and she outgrows things so quickly. I try to keep items in good condition without stains . I can sell things as she outgrows them to fund the next size up for her ever changing wardrobe. Check out this  Ramsey Solutions article  for more side hustle suggestions.  2. Start a sinking fund. Similar to having m...

What Do Different Colored Pumpkins Mean on Halloween?

What Do Different Colored Pumpkins Mean on Halloween? From pillowcases to pumpkin pails, kids carry all kinds of candy receptacles to trick-or-treat. While much thought might not go into using a grocery bag, the use of different colored pumpkins for trick or treat could be intentional.  Just as trick-or-treaters can send a signal with what they carry to collect candy, people passing out treats can do the same with their Halloween decor. Whether you collect or pass out treats, arm yourself with the knowledge of what different colored pumpkins mean on Halloween to prepare for all sorts of trick-or-treaters. **This post contains affiliate links. I earn small commissions from clicks and qualified purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support! Teal Pumpkins  Teal pumpkins represent food allergies. Your child with a food allergy can carry a  teal pumpkin trick or treat bucket .  Decorate your porch with a  teal pumpkin  to provide a more inclusive tr...